Adjustment of Status is widely known as applying for a Green Card while present in the United States. U.S. immigration law allows a temporary visitor to change status to a permanent resident if the individual is here legally and meets certain requirements without having to return to their home country to complete visa processing.

Detailed Description:

Adjustment of Status, or AOS, is a procedure that allows an eligible applicant to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States (commonly known as getting a Green Card) without having to go abroad to apply for an immigrant visa. Many factors and requirements will determine whether  or not an individual is eligible to apply through AOS.


The following steps detail the process of AOS:

  1. Determine if you are eligible to apply under a specific immigrant category.

  2. Determine and fill out the forms required to apply for a Green Card. This will usually include two forms -- an immigrant petition and a Green Card application.

  3. Check visa availability.

  4. File Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence of Adjust Status

  5. Go to your Application Support Center appointment to provide biometrics

  6. Go to your interview if requested by USCIS officials

  7. Respond to request for additional evidence, if applicable

  8. Check your case status

  9. Receive a decision


Navigating through this process yourself without the proper knowledge can jeopardize your chance of applying for a Green Card through the AOS procedure, as an appeal is generally not allowed (though you may file a motion to reopen or reconsider).

At Jia Law Group, we have a team of highly experienced immigration attorneys to ensure that the process of Adjustment of Status goes as smoothly as possible. Our attorneys have helped countless clients in a range of immigration matters. If you are interested in pursuing an adjustment of status, it is important to have quality legal support to guide you through the process.


Contact us to discuss your concerns and get the support you deserve from our immigration attorneys.


Matthew Kolodziej




Jason Jia

Managing Partner